Sunday, October 13, 2013

A Book About Mindfulness, Alzheimer's, and Dementia

I have not been very good about posting lately . . . 

The good news is I just signed a contract with New Harbinger Publications to write a book about a topic very close to my heart. 'The Liberated Caregiver: A Mindfulness-Based Guide to Stress-Free Alzheimer's and Dementia Care' (working title).

My hope is that the book will be helpful to those who need mindfulness the most - in my opinion - the family and professional caregivers tending to those with dementia. I have spent the last several years honing the curriculum which I now teach at UCSF OSHER Center for Integrative Medicine, and the timing seemed right for sharing it more widely.

It has been a work a love, and not a day goes by without me thinking about my mother whose legacy lives on in my work with those with Alzheimer's and dementia and their caregivers.

It has also been quite a crusade, as the mainstream is only now waking up to the importance of offering a dementia-specific mindfulness training for caregivers.

Last, it has been a collaborative effort involving all the people along the way who have contributed in one way or another to the shaping of this work. I am especially grateful to Dr. Kevin Barrows, at UCSF, for taking such an active role and interest in the Mindfulness-Based Dementia Care program. 

No comments:

Post a Comment