Monday, August 19, 2013

Top 5 Regrets of the Living

A dear friend died yesterday, someone I was supposed to do a project with. As always, the news of death rings the alarm for those of us still living. We may ask, am I living my life well?

For answers, let us turn to those at the end of life. These are the Top 5 Regrets of the Dying:
  1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
  2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
  3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
  4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
  5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
No need to wait for the end to become wise. Looking back on my life, I have my own list of regrets, mistakes made along the way that I wish to not repeat. Here it is:
  1. I wish I had spent less time in fear
  2. I wish I had spent less time in anger
  3. I wish I had been more wise in some of my choices
  4. I wish I had discovered mindfulness earlier
  5. I wish I had understood loving kindness earlier
What is your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment